Monday, November 11, 2013

Something fresh for dinner

People who know me know that I don't cook, except that I make a mean grilled cheese sandwich. Tonight I decided to step out of my frying a sandwich comfort zone! 

What did I end up making? 

Starting from the inspiration, last weekend I had a friend over who I met in New Zealand and visited in Portugal, Maria. In both locations I was wowed by her sense of creativity in the kitchen. She was able to dig up anything from the refrigerator and make it delicious! She taught me two things I will always remember in the kitchen from now on: experimentation and confidence are important. Some things may not work but you shouldn't give up trying to find the ways that do work. She showed me to make a sauce just with tomatoes and cucumbers in pasta. She added pears which ended up being a sweet but delightful addition to the mix. We all have to start somewhere so I tried to recreate this dish. 

Even though I didn't have pears to add this time, it was still equally delicious! I found that making my own dinner completely from scratch, I feel more satisfied with my meal. My appetite wasn't very big after standing over the stove going through the motions of cooking. I feel healthier by having fresh ingredients. And finally, I feel very accomplished by having created something delicious as a result. I can't wait to go to the store next to try my own creation!

No comments:

Post a Comment